IPM from IIM Indore - Overview, Selection Process and Learning Goals
Understand the benefits of an integrated management like the IPM from IIM Indore. Know what this is all about.
The need for diversity in IIM - IPM from IIM Indore might be the answer:
IIM Indore has a five-year Integrated Programme in Management (IPM) in place wherein students can join straight after completing their 12th grade. The fourth and fifth years of IPM are common with its two-year post graduate programme in management. Since we have the IPM integrated with PGP, this ensures that 20-22% of the class comprises non-engineers. In addition, we have non-engineers who qualify for PGP. So, overall, we have a good level of academic diversity in the PGP programme, said IIM Indore’s director, Rishikesha T Krishnan.
Mr Shivshankar Menon, one of the eminent persons to address the IPM students, added that the world today is divided into two categories-one which includes culture, liberal arts, humanities and all the classical subjects like history, geography, etc.; and the modern category which includes hard sciences like physics, chemistry, maths, etc. which focus on hypothesis and scientific methods.
IPM from IIM Indore - Pillars, Enablers and Enhancers:
According to Mr. Krishnan, the new curriculum of IPM is designed in a manner which will help the participants emerge as good leaders and managers. Professor G. Venkat Raman then gave an overview of the IPM curriculum. He said that the new curriculum includes the 'Pillars'-Economics, Mathematics, Statistics and Social Sciences along with the 'Enablers' namely, Communication, Information System and various Bridge Courses like Business History, Government & Society, Basics of Accounting, etc.; and the 'Enhancers'-which include language and philosophy, arts, drama, music, sports and yoga as well. He noted that the curriculum will help in excellent overall development of the participants.
With IIM Act coming into force, students of five-year Integrated Programme in Management (IPM) — like their PGP counterparts — would also get degree instead of diploma from this year. Indian Institute of Management Indore, which runs IPM course, made this announcement, days after IIM Act came into being.
IPM from IIM Indore:
IPM is aimed at students who have passed out of class XII/Higher Secondary or equivalent from schools across India.
Launched by IIM Indore in 2011, the five-year Integrated Programme in Management (IPM) is the first of its kind in India. The programme has been accredited by the Association of MBAs, London (4th and 5th Year). It is a unique and creative programme meant for young students with managerial and leadership aspirations. Through the IPM, IIM Indore seeks to attract young students, and mould them as outstanding leaders through a world-class education.
Learning Goals in IPM from IIM Indore:
Given the nature of the programme learning goals of IPM are split into those for the first 3 years and the last two years.
Learning goals for the first three years of the programme: The Foundation
The Programme consists of 15 terms spread over a period of 5 years, with each year having 3 terms of 3 months. IPM is in two parts. The first three years build a foundation, and the last two years focus on management.
The IPM will enable students to:
- Demonstrate language skills
- Demonstrate oral communication skills
- Demonstrate knowledge of foundational subjects for management studies
- Demonstrate an awareness of ethical understanding
- Enhance physical well-being
Learning goals of the last two years: The PGP
Last two years of the programme are at Post-graduate level and the IPM students are mixed with the PGP programme students and they go through the same set of courses as the PGP programme. Hence the learning goals for these two years are the same as that of the PGP Programme. These goals are:
- Enable students to understand relevance of context in business
- Develop social consciousness
- Develop critical thinking skills
- Inculcate integrative thinking ability
- Promote interpersonal awareness and ability to work in groups
- Enable students to learn how to apply the basic principles of communication in order to write effective business messages, case analysis and reports.
- Develop competence in quantitative analysis
- Prepare business leaders with a sound understanding of ethics
Selection Process of IPM from IIM Indore
The students undergo a rigorous selection process:
- An application form aimed at understanding the students’ proficiency in academics, as well as in co-curricular activities is filled up by the aspirant.
- An entrance examination follows, to test the applicant’s aptitude, logical reasoning and proficiency in English and Mathematics.
- Shortlisted candidates appear for personal interviews.
- The interview panel comprises well–qualified professors from IIM Indore and other prestigious institutions. The interview judges the students’ level of confidence, communication skills, general awareness, persuasion skills and knowledge.
- IIM Indore admits about 120 students to the IPM every year.
The intense popularity of IPM from IIM Indore
In 2017, nearly 20,000 students have applied for admissions in 5-year Integrated Programme in Management (IPM) this year, an after-school course offered by Indian Institute of Management Indore. This is the highest figure witnessed by the IIM Indore since the launch of the course. Last year, the institute had received 17,853 applications. This year, the number went about more than 20,000, apparently the Central Cabinet had approved IIM Bill enabling IIMs to confer degree instead of diploma on its students.
From commencement of the course in 2011, number of applications has been shooting up barring 2016. The institute had received 3,545 applications in 2011, 3603 in 2012, 7085 in 2013, 12143 in 2014, 19056 in 2015, 17853 in 2016 and approximately 20000 in 2017.
Also Read: IPM, IIM Indore Admission Notification 2018