SBI PO Prelims Quantitative Aptitude Questions & Answers
The SBI Probationary Officer (PO) 2018 Exam conducted by the State Bank of India (SBI) is a gateway to a bright career in the Banking Industry for thousands of students and working professionals across the nation. We have composed the latest quantitative aptitude Q&A with an explanation that would ease your effort.
Numerical Ability Section Analysis for SBI PO:
The Quant section consists of questions from the following topics - Arithmetic, Algebra, Probability, Permutations & Combinations, Data Interpretation. Since our primary focus is on clearing the cut-offs, let's classify the topics into various difficulty levels considering average time spent to solve the questions.
Easy - Quadratic Equations, Simplifications and Approximations, Number Series, Time and Work
Moderate - Data Interpretation, Percentages, Ratio & Proportions, Profit and Loss, SI & CI
Difficult - Time Speed & Distance, Pipes and Cisterns, Mixtures, Mensuration
Make sure you complete practising all the easy category questions first which will give you ample amount of time to work on weak areas. Analyze your performance regularly by taking dozens and scores of mock tests and preparing a preparation strategy accordingly
Sample Questions for SBI PO Quantitative Aptitude Section
1. Find the roots of the quadratic equation: x2 + 4x - 12 = 0?
x2 + 6x - 2x - 12 = 0
x(x + 6) - 2(x + 6) = 0
(x - 2)(x + 6) = 0
=> x = 2 or x = -6.
2. 30 + 5 x 6 / (90/3) = ?
30 + 5 x 6 / (90/3) = 30 + 5 x 6 / (30)
3. The speed of a train is 80 kmph. What is the distance covered by it in 15 minutes?
80 x (15/60) = 20 km
4. Two pipes A and B can fill a cistern in 10 and 15 minutes respectively, and a third pipe C can empty it in 20 minutes. How long will it take to fill the cistern if all the three are opened at the same time?
1/10 + 1/15 - 1/20 = 7/60
60/7 = 8.57 min
5. The perimeter of a triangle is 25 cm and the inradius of the triangle is 2.8 cm. What is the area of the triangle?
Area of a triangle = r x s
6. There is 25 per cent decrease in the price of an article and as a result, the article costs Rs.805. Find the actual cost of the article.
CP* ((100-25)/100) = 805
CP* (75/100) = 805
CP= Rs. 1073
7. Which of the following numbers will form a 7:1 with the number 10?
7:1 = x : 10
x = 70
8. A and B together can do a piece of work in 10 days. If A alone can do the same work in 15 days, then B alone can do the same work in:
B = 1/10 – 1/15 = 1/30 => 30 days
9. On what sum of money will the simple interest be Rs. 80 in 5 years at 2.5 percent per annum?
A. Rs. 480
B. Rs. 550
D. Rs. 720
80 = (P x 5 x 5/2)/100
P = Rs. 640
10. A mixture of 120 litres of wine and water contains 15% water. How much water should be added so that water becomes 25% of the new mixture?
Number of liters of water in 120 liters of the mixture = 15% of 120 = 15/100 * 120 = 18 liters.
P litres of water added to the mixture to make water 25% of the new mixture.
Total amount of water becomes (18 + P) and total volume of mixture is (120 + P).
(18 + P) = 25/100 * (120 + P)
72 + 4P = 120 + P => P = 16 liters.
Check Other Blogs on SBI Exams
IBPS PO Prelims 2018 - Free Mock Test Online
The IBPS PO prelims examination for 2018 will be conducted on 13th, 14th, 20th & 21st October 2018 and the mains exam is scheduled to be held on 18th November 2018. With the exam nearly at the doorstep, it is highly essential to realize the essence of time and utilize it for studying as well as appearing mock tests. Practice test series for IBPS PO will help you distinguish your performance from preparation and help you learn about areas that require your most attention and the areas that demand your least attention. Without further ado, let's proceed:
What is IBPS?
The Institute for Banking Personnel Selection (IBPS) is a self-governed body whose mission is to recruit the best candidates for banks in India through personal assessment in the areas of aptitude, accuracy, and knowledge. The Common Written Examination IBPS PO CWE is conducted every year to recruit Probationary Officers and Clerical cadre into the 27 Public Sector Banks across India. This year would see the 8th edition of the test and hence IBPS PO CWE VIII. The official IBPS PO Notification is around the corner.
|IBPS PO Schedule||Date|
|Registration Start Date:||14/08/2018|
|Registration End Date:||04/09/2018|
|Last date for printing Application:||19/09/2018|
|Preliminary Exam Date:||13/10/2018, 14/10/2018, 20/10/2018 and 21/10/2018|
|Preliminary Exam Result:||October/ November 2018|
|Online Examination - Mains||18/11/2018|
|Declaration of Result:||December 2018|
|Download of call letters for interview:||January 2019|
|Conduct of interview:||January / February 2019|
Preparation Plan for IBPS PO Prelims
Is taking a diagnostic test necessary? We suggest you take a diagnostic test as it makes you aware of where you stand. Don't let the result demoralize you. It's just a measure of what you are good at and the areas that need your attention. Sign-up Now to attempt a diagnostic test on Conduira Online.
A daily routine to keep yourself updated is highly necessary. You can read books offline and blogs online for updating yourself. You can follow Conduira Online's regular blogs to keep yourself acquainted with the tips, tricks, and strategies to crack IBPS PO. You can also attend our live sessions for developing a better understanding of core topics related to Quantitative Aptitude, Verbal Ability, and Reasoning. Below are some of our blogs to give a brief idea about IBPS PO examination.
Earlier, the bank exams used to be easy and the only step the aspirants took was to read and practice the concepts from books and sit for the exam directly. With the surge of aspirants, the level of competition has also increased. This requires a regular check of your progress in cracking the bank exams. How do you monitor your progress? YES! You guessed it right! Only mock tests can help you analyze your performance. Take as many mock tests as you can to analyze your performance and help you curate your preparation strategy accordingly.
If you are unable to spot your weak areas then Conduira Online will help you achieve that. Conduira Online is the one and only online portal that has embedded adaptive test taking capabilities in its online mock tests. Adaptive test taking implies that depending upon the accuracy of each question attempted by the student, the next question can be of an increasing or decreasing difficulty. This unique test-taking approach provided by Conduira Online offers a run for their money to even the best candidates, as the difficulty level of the mock test keeps varying according to the accuracy of the candidate.
However, the mock test offered by Conduira Online is of a balanced difficulty and even the toughest papers can be attempted through some sheer perseverance. Below is a step by step guide that explains each and every aspect of test-taking process on Conduira Online along with displaying unique data analytics regarding your performance in Conduira Online mock tests.
1) Sign-up - First, a student has to register himself/herself on Conduira Online website. Conduira Online offers a free 3-days trial for Bank exam mock test. After Signing Up a student gets a free mock test of SBI PO Prelims, IBPS PO Prelims, IBPS PO Mains, IBPS Clerical Prelims, IBPS Clerical Mains, SBI JA Prelims and 1 Diagnostic Test.
2) Selection of an exam pattern - A student has an option to select only one exam which he/she is preparing for and then can attempt free as well as paid mock test for the selected exam pattern.
3) Vibrant Dashboard - Once the student has selected its respective exam pattern, they will be greeted with Conduira Online's vibrant dashboard which has been designed to give maximum information in just one glance. The vibrant colors and the easy-to-use well-organized interface will offer easy navigation as well as an excellent learning platform.
4) Personalized Recommendations - These learning paths are not only personalized to your strengths and weaknesses but are also based on the goal you have set for yourself such as SBI PO, IBPS PO, IBPS PO Clerical. Our unique machine learning based AI algorithms bring in a balance between the topics that the rest of the world finds difficult and the topics that you find difficult.
5) Learn Section- Conduira not only lets you take tests but also learn and strengthen your concepts through video tutorials on various sections, viz., Verbal Ability, Quantitative Aptitude & Reasoning Ability. The icing on the cake is: Conduira also stores video tutorials to guide you for GD/PI and also increase your awareness through general awareness.
6) Practice Tests - You can also check out Conduira's vast array of practice tests divided into two sub-sections namely Module Tests and Section Tests. In Module Tests, you can take practice tests for every chapter mentioned in the syllabus for Quantitative Aptitude, Verbal Ability, and Reasoning. In Section Tests, you can take General Awareness Test with 4 tests uploaded every month. Please note that some of the chapter tests are Adaptive in nature.
7) Model Tests - In order to give a free IBPS PO mock test, you have to first select the model tests where you will be greeted with IBPS PO mock test page. One free test of IBPS PO will be unlocked as you have selected IBPS PO exam pattern.
8) Test Pattern - Once you start the test you will be greeted with instructions for attempting the mock. Please read them carefully before attempting the mock test. The mock test has 100 questions which the student has to answer in 60 mins. Once the test is completed the student will be offered an in-depth analysis of his/ her performance in the test via a report. The initial report displays the student's overall performance with the number of correct/incorrect/ un-attempted questions along with marks scored in the test. The student can then choose to see a detailed report of his/ her performance in the test.
9) Detailed Report - The detailed report card has been divided into 5 different tabs. Each tab offers a unique perspective on the student's overall performance.
- Report card - A bar chart and bell curve representation of your performance along with a representation of performance comparison between you and other students' who have attempted the same test.
- Time Analysis - This tab will let you analyze the amount of time taken in answering each question and it also provides a data comparison of how fast you were at answering the question as compared to other students for the same question. You will also get information about the type of question asked and the particular chapter from which the question was taken. You can also find a detailed solution of each answered/ un-attempted question in this tab.
- Question Selection - This section will give you an in-depth analysis of where you went wrong in the entire mock test. This section is divided into 3 parts - Verbal ability, Reasoning, and Quantitative Aptitude. Let's say if we check the verbal ability section then we can easily see the questions that were answered either correctly/incorrectly/un-attempted with different color codings. Now if we click on the little graph icon next to verbal ability then we can see the breakdown of entire verbal ability section i.e we can see how the entire verbal ability paper is structured. For example here the verbal ability section is divided into Reading Comprehension, Grammar, Vocabulary and Logical Deduction. We can easily see which questions one attempted correctly/incorrectly or left un-attempted in reading comprehension section and can also see the detailed solution of each question by clicking on the question number icon. This entire set of information can help you analyze your weakness in particular topics and can guide you as to where you have to put the extra effort.
- Solution Details - This section is a complete color-coded representation of your correct/incorrect/un-attempted answers for each section. You can find the detailed solution to each question as well as you can learn new techniques for solving a question. You can also raise an issue to Conduira Online if you are not satisfied with a particular solution or if you think that there is some error in the question by clicking on Still not convinced? tab.
- Toppers List - Here you can check out the list of top scorers in a particular test. You can see their respective scores and can compare your score with them. This basically gives an idea as to where you stand in the aspirants' crowd.
Bonus For Bank PO Aspirants:
Vocab Prep App: Vocab Prep is a smarter way to learn Vocabulary for Bank Exams with advanced algorithms that personalize and simplify your learning experience, which helps you learn "Smarter, Faster & Forever".
Although you have an overall idea about the step by step guide towards appearing Conduira Online's mock tests, it's highly recommended for you to take a mock test (IBPS PO Prelims Free Mock Test recommended) at least once for getting used to the online interface.
Doubt Clarification: Stuck somewhere? Write to us at email@example.com and a response within 48 hours from our experts is a Conduira promise.
How to Prepare for Quantitative Aptitude for SBI PO Prelims 2018?
SBI PO Pre Exam Preparation 2018: SBI PO Prelims is scheduled to be held on 1st, 7th and 8th of July 2018 and the exam being just a week away, the aspirants' preparation is at a peak now. Many aspirants might have been preparing for the last several months and they would be wondering what is left to be done further? This is the time for SMART WORK. This is the time to decide what you want to do in the exam.
Many aspirants take several mock exams during this time. Do check out the mock tests available on our website. The mock exams are set by faculty with multiple years of experience and ensure that you are well-prepared for the main test.
After each mock spend a few hours analyzing your performance, working on your weak areas and polishing and refining your skills in the three sections, viz., English Language Section, Reasoning Section, Quantitative Aptitude Section. Now that sectional cut off is no more a criterion, make sure it's not just analyzing your weak areas but also keeping the time limit for each section in your mind. Do make sure that you are spending enough time on each mock before you take another mock.
This article will give you an insight into how to prepare for Quantitative Aptitude for SBI PO Prelims Exam. Let's proceed further.
Step by Step Guide: Quantitative Aptitude Preparation for SBI PO Prelims
Well, as said above, keeping smart work in mind, let's break down the schedule into three parts:
1. Easy questions that are very likely to come in the exam These are usually from Number Series, Simplification, Roots & Average, Surds & Indices, Ratio Proportion, Interest, Percentages.
2. Medium difficulty questions that are likely to come in the Exam These questions usually come from Profit & Loss, Time & Work, Time & Distance, Algebra, Mensuration, Data Interpretation, Progressions
3. Tough questions that are likely to appear in the exam: Questions on Permutation & Combination, Probability, Mixtures & Alligations, Data Sufficiency are usually tough to score in the exam.
Everyone has to necessarily be good at the easy questions. In addition, you should be strong in at least 2-3 topics where the questions are tougher. Usually, it is better to leave the tough questions in the exams unless you know any shortcuts that can help you score marks quickly.
Read More: Latest SBI Prelims Pattern & Implications
Chapter-Wise Strategy Segregation:
Simplification is perhaps the easiest of all to be attempted quickly as well as accurately. It is the matter of effective calculations at the tip of your tongue. Simplification is based on topics from decimals, percentages, square roots, cube roots etc. Marks can easily be obtained in these questions.
Coming to number series, the recognition of pattern happens to be a challenge but if you have practised well, don't worry about the difficulty. Prelims won't have very challenging questions yet safe advice is to prepare for the worst as well as best. Practice frequently to ace the series recognition.
SBI PO Admit Card is Released. Download Here!
Data Interpretation is the illustration of data and extracting the data from the illustrations. Least to say, this chapter requires a hell lot of prior practice. Once you have the keen eye to find the right information, you can answer as many questions as you can from DI.
Quadratic equations are all about formulas and identifying the questions the formula fit into. Prelims won't subject you to time-consuming quadratic questions so just ensure you stick to your solving speed and accuracy through practice.
Time, speed, and distance
These questions are a must and require a great deal of knowledge from streams and river-related questions. This area generally builds confusion among many students. It's the power to imagine the upstream and downstream questions and also apply the addition and subtraction effectively.
Permutations and combinations
You might be aware of the kind of questions that permutation and combination have in its reserve. They are tough and cannot be aced in a day or two, to be honest, but if you have a good approach towards permutation and combination, go for it without any fear.
Must-read: SBI PO English Preparation Guide for Prelims
If permutation and combination have been aced by you, probability requires very less effort now. Don't panic if a difficult probability question comes through, just move forward to the next question. Probability questions have wide varieties and if not practised before, don't attempt to waste time on it now.
Tips & Strategy:
You need to make sure you take practice tests individually for each chapter and try to target at least 30 questions from each. Finish the individual practice test within 2 days (targeting both speed and accuracy). After the individual practice, run a quick revision. It's for retaining what you learn. And for the rest of the days till the exam, try to emphasis on mock tests. Mock tests are like fuel to the fire. They can ignite the spark as well as sustain the spark of the prelims. For the tough category chapters, make sure you don't waste enough time there. Skip the questions if you can’t get a clear idea within 30 seconds.
The prelims exam is all about getting enough marks to qualify for the mains. Once you are in the exam, try to maximize on your strengths and ensure that you are not spending too much time on any single question. We hope that you succeed in giving your best on this exam.
Lastly, fix the strategy that you have decided is the best for you, concentrating on your strengths and weakness. You can go for Conduira Online that offers free mock tests for SBI PO Preparation 2018. You can also watch YouTube videos on different topics for SBI PO Preliminary Examinations. All the Best Guys!
Check Out Our Latest Posts:
IBPS PO Prelims 2018 Reasoning Ability Practice Papers
The Institute of Banking Personnel Selection (IBPS) started conducting IBPS PO examination in the year 2011 which, since then has been a gateway to the lucrative career in Banking Industry for a lot of students and working professionals across India. The IBPS PO Preliminary examination for this year is scheduled to be held on 13th, 14th, 20th & 21st October 2018 and the mains exam is to be held on 18th November 2018.
A detailed preparation for the three sections, viz., Verbal Ability, Quantitative Aptitude and Reasoning Ability will help you to crack the IBPS PO Prelims and will render you eligible for the mains. Not just preparation but monitoring your preparation is an important step towards cracking the bank PO exams. Take as many mock tests as you can and find your strong and weak sections and tailor your routine accordingly. Without further ado let's analyze the Reasoning Section for the prelims followed by the sample papers.
Important Chapters for Reasoning Ability for IBPS PO Prelims Exam:
Reasoning section has seen an increase in the number of questions which makes it a crucial section for optimum scoring. The topics include Series, Analogies, Odd Pair, Directions, Numbers & Rankings, Dictionary Test, Syllogisms, Blood Relations, Seating Arrangements, Data Sufficiency, Computer Knowledge, Coding-Decoding, Input-Output machine, Complex puzzles
Reasoning Ability Practice Questions for IBPS PO Prelims 2018:
1. Find the Missing Number:
10, 22, 46, 94, 190,?
In the series, each digit is first multiplied by 2 and then 2 is added to get the next number.
10 x 2 => 20 +2 => 22,
22 x 2 => 44 + 2 => 46,
46 x 2 => 92 + 2 => 94,
94 x 2 => 188 + 2 => 190,
190 x 2 => 380 + 2 => 382.
So the missing number is 382.
2. Cows: Herd, then Crows:?
Group of 'Cows' is called 'Herd', then the group of 'Crows' is called 'Murder'.
3. Find the odd man out:
Sound, Heat, Light are forms of energy. Height is not a form of energy.
4. I am facing south. Turning to the left I go 20m, then turning to the right I go 15m, and turning to the right I go 10m, then turning to left I go 10m and turning to right I go 20m, then again turning to right I go 25m. In which direction am I from my original position?
I am on the west side of my original position
5. Kiran is 7 ranks ahead of Sagar in a class of 39. If Sagar`s rank is seventeenth from the last, what is Kiran`s rank from the start?
Sagar is 17th from the last and Kiran is 7 ranks ahead of Sagar. So, Kiran is 24th from the last. Number of students ahead of Kiran in rank = (39 - 24) = 15. So, Ravi is 16th from the start.
6. Arrange words in Dictionary order:
1: Blame, 2: Boehm, 3: Bame, 4: Brame
A. 2, 3, 1, 4
B. 1, 3, 4, 2
C. 1, 2, 3, 4
D. 3, 1, 2, 4
Bame → 3
Blame → 1
Boehm → 2
Brame → 4
7. Statements: Some Apples are Bananas. All the Bananas are Grapes.
Some Bananas are Grapes.
Some Bananas are Apples.
A. Only conclusion 1 follows
B. Only conclusion 2 follows
C. Either (1) or (2) follows
D. Neither (1) nor (2) follows
E. Both (1) and (2) follow
8.Instructions for Questions a to c: Read the given information below and answer the questions that follow
Six friends A, B, C, D, E, and F are sitting around a hexagonal table with each at one corner and facing the centre of the hexagonal. A is second to the left of F. B is neighbour of C and D. E is second to the left of D.
a. Which one is sitting opposite to E?
So, C is sitting opposite to E
b. Which of the following are the neighbours of D?
A. F and A
B. E and C
C. F and C
D. F and B
So, F and B are the neighbours of D.
c. Who is the third person to the right of A?
So, D is the third person to the right of A
9. Which of the following is not an input device for Computer?
B. Light pen
Plotters is an output device. The plotter is a computer printer for printing vector graphics.
10. If COMPUTER is coded as RFUVQNPC, then how MEDICINE is coded?
Each letter of the word except the first and last letters is moved one step forward and the order of letters obtained is reversed to get the code.
Please also read:
SBI PO & JA Preparation Tips & Strategies
With the Preliminary Examination for SBI Probationary Officer and Junior Assistant scheduled within a week of each other, I am sure a lot of you are preparing for both together. Therefore, even in our columns, we are trying to address the strategies needed to crack these exams together. In our previous article we looked in depth preparation of the English Language section. In this week’s column, let us do a deep dive in to the Reasoning Section.
When it comes to the Reasoning Section, some question types make an appearance in both the PO and the JA Preliminary Examinations; however, the big difference is the difficulty level of the questions. The questions in PO Exam are a level higher than the ones in the JA Prelims Exam.
Though we cannot be certain, basis the last few years examination patterns, we expect the coverage of both these exams as follows
As highlighted multiple times in our column here, the big change this year is the introduction of the Sectional Time Limits and the removal of the Sectional Cut-Offs. Most aspirants tend to spend lesser time in English Language section and use that additional time in the Reasoning Section; this year around, however, it is not possible. As a result, the scores in Reasoning section could come down. Basis our analysis, a good attempt is around 16 to 18 questions in PO Prelims Exam and around 18 to 20 questions in JA Prelims Exam with high accuracy of course.
Preparation Guide for SBI PO & JA - Sections Wise Highlight
Based on attempt strategy of thousands of students who took the SBI PO and JA Prelims Mock Tests on Conduira Online platform. We suggest you follow the strategy below to tackle the time pressure and still emerge victorious in the Reasoning Section.
1. Start with the questions based on topics such as Inequalities, Number/Alphabet Series, Blood Relations, Directions Data Arrangements and Ranks/Positions. In the first 8 to 10 minutes. Target to attempt at least 10 to 12 questions from these areas. These questions are often direct, take lesser time and allow you to score faster and accurately.
2. In the next five minutes, try to attempt 5 to 6 Syllogisms, Coding or Input-Output based Questions, if they make an appearance. However, SBI PO keeps experimenting with newer models of these question types and if that happens this year again, we suggest you leave them and move forward. In the amount of time you have and under the pressure you would be in, trying to decode a new pattern is generally not the wisest strategy.
3. The last 8 to 10 minutes, choose 1 to 2 sets from among the Logical Reasoning Puzzles. Your goal is to choose the two easy puzzles that can be solved within 5 to 6 minutes each. Ideally, choose puzzles like ones you might have practiced earlier.
a. Linear Arrangements puzzles are often easier than Circular Arrangements based puzzles, and Comparisons based puzzles are easier than those based on Blood Relations.
b. Avoid puzzles that also have numerical data as they tend to be difficult and time-consuming. Also avoid puzzles that have multiple parameters or have very little data or have clues that give you negative information.
c. Further, do not try to complete all the questions in a set – attempt the easier ones and leave the difficult ones.
d. Make sure you run through the clues at the end of the puzzle to make sure that all the conditions are satisfied.
Given the sectional time limits, time management and question selection strategy would become extremely crucial in both the Reasoning and Numerical Ability sections. At the risk of repeating myself, ensure that you are taking multiple mock tests to make sure you try out different strategies and finalise one. There should be as little confusion as possible on the final day of the exam in terms of your strategy. Attempting 20 Questions in 20 minutes is a difficult job in itself – you do not need to complicate it by putting yourself under further pressure.
Lastly, multiple websites, including our own website, Conduira Online offers free Live Sessions on our YouTube Channel on different topics for SBI PO and JA Preliminary and Mains Examinations. Do check them out – they might just be the last-minute push you need.
Check Out Our Latest Posts: